Skip to main content

One of my Favourite People in the World, my Dad.

Well, I assume most of you that read my blog know who my Dad is, so this should be fun for you!!!  I spend a lot of time at my friends house but what some of you might now know is that I actually live with my my Dad and my Uncle (during the week). It is fricken hilarious. There used to be another guy that lived here too. My dads friend used to stay in the room downstairs so I literally live in a frat house. Except the "frat boys" are actually in their 50's and go to bed by 9:30 every night. And they only stay up until 9:30 because that is when Just For Laugh: Gags comes on and they can't miss that. One time I was in the kitchen and I could hear my dad trying to search something on the TV... he was like, "Scott! How do you spell Chicago??" My uncle Scott scoffed and said "I don't know? C-h-i-g -- wait no. Oh I don't know...definitely starts with a C-h though..." and as this whole scenario was going on I was emptying the dishwasher (10 minutes) and trying my damnedest not to laugh out loud.

I never lived with my Dad completely he always worked in the city and I always lived in our home town. So when I was 18 and started college in the city I moved in with my Dad. I never really realized this before I moved in but we are almost the same person. Anyone who has met my Dad before knows how sarcastic he can and I am the same way. It has been quite the adventure to say the least. I will try my best to talk about him and really do any of these stories any justice lol.

Thinking back there are a few particulars stories that come to mind, I think if you know who my dad is they will probably be a lot funnier but I will try my best to explain them.

When I was about to start school this September I told my Dad I needed a new backpack, what this meant exactly was that I was poor and needed money for a bag. Now, to be totally honest usually if I say I need something and give a valid reason why I actually need it he usually will give me some money to go out and buy what I need. Which is what I thought was going to happen in this little situation, but instead he said, "Oh do you? Ok." Never really said anything else, so I just kind of shrugged and went into my room. I came home the next day to a backpack that my Dad must have got me. I was pretty impressed actually usually he never really buys me things himself, I flipped over the backpack and it said LaFarge on it, meh, I didn't care. I looked down and it had a big yellow triangle on it that "3 Point Touch at all Times" and than in bright green writing "Safety First" .... I looked at my Dad and he smiled, yeah I found that thing in my shop, so there yeah go. Perfect backpack. Not complaining because it was free and it did the job but I did walk around a few months like kind of a dork with the phrase "3 Point Touch at all Times" on my back. I think that just made him that much happier!

One of the things I cannot wait to see is what my Dad comes home with when he says he is going grocery shopping... Now, he does get some really useful things sometimes but it is soooo funny to see what he comes home with. For instance this was just recently when he went to Sobeys. This is will give you a better idea of what I mean....



So... What he got was Febreeze, dog treats, Cake and Pastry Flour, Canola Oil, Calcium pills, strawberries and grapes. Now I could see someone getting these on a big shopping trip but like, these are honestly 7 of the most random items I have ever seen in one singular shopping trip. Now you know he didn't go in and say, I am just going to get fruit. No... He went in and said I am going to make it my goal to get something from every single aisle. I think he pretty much succeeded in that attempt? And he will just leave it on the counter for me to put it away so I know everytime he goes shopping and I literally laugh out loud everytime.  He is such a guy. 

Also, if you ever call my dad for some reason and it goes to voice mail and you think, oh I will leave him a message and he will give me a call back after. No. Don't think like that because he doesn't check his voice mail ever. And just in case you don't believe me, I will show you. 
That is 14 NEW messages, and those aren't texts. They are all voice mails, I checked. and there are some that have been "opened" just to get the notifications to go away. I am just saying that the guy never checks his voice mail and that is good to know seeing as how for a very long time I thought he was just ignoring me ;)

There is a local pub that is by our house that my dad likes to go to watch hockey games most of the time! One time I went in to get something from dad and he looks at me, and asks where I am off too? I told him I'm just going to the mall to pick up pictures...he's like wow you really got dressed up for the mall...i was like no dad I was at work before this and with a relieved look on his face says. oh good, I was gonna say if that's the highlight of your day you need to get out more. This is one example of my dads humour... 

Earlier this year I got extensions, so I went from short hair to having it like 12 inches long. four days after I got them dad looks at me and says..."Oh looks like you dyed your hair dark..." I stared at him for about 30 seconds and said, "Did you notice it grew 12 inches too? Or nah?" He smiled, and said, "Oh....yeah. Nope didn't notice."..... Among so many other things my dad is also really observant, as you can see. ;)

Living with my Dad honestly never has a dull moment, there are times when I still don't get his humour and I look at him dumbfounded. I think that is what he enjoys the most, confusing me. He is a quiet guy if you don't really know him but he has a heart of gold, he always tries to make me feel better. One time I made stew, and it was the first time I had ever made it and honestly, it was NOT good. I am the first to admit that, I put in like wayyy to much flour and it was so thick but guess what, my dad ate the whole plate he took and although I knew it was gross. He finished it, smiled and said it was a little thick but next time it will be better. I know I am not the best cook and I usually make like the same 5 dishes over and over but he never complains and always eats whatever I make him, cause I really do try. Hopefully one day my natural ability will kick in. But the fact that he never complains and always tries everything I make just shows how much of a sweetheart he really is. And if you ever need to see for yourself then just put a cute puppy or kitty in the room with him and leave. Then sneak a peek and I garauntee that you will see a side of him that you never though existed.

 I went to see a psychic/medium a few months ago and she told me that my grandma loved watching my dad and I spend time together, that she loves our humour and that we can make eachother laugh. Hearing those things were so heartwarming, I love spending time with my dad and although it is usually just us watching one of our shows together on Sunday that is good enough for me.

Today is his birthday, he went up to the Stonegate and then came home. I asked him what he wanted for his "Birthday Dinner" and he just said some "Gondola pizza..." which really wasn't a huge surprise to me, he loves pizza and perhaps tomorrow I will make him something in his new activ-fry thingy he got for christmas. (Which is SO COOL. Google it) There are so many things about my father that I aspire to become, hard working, loyal, generous and just so loved by everyone. I know that although he will probably never read or see this, Happy Birthday Dad, I love you. <3 Thank you for making everything I do possible, for believing in me and always trying whatever I cook. 

Plus how could you not love a guy with a
pug shirt? That's my dad for ya. 





Well, I spent a few months gathering those stories so that I could share this on his birthday, I hope you all enjoyed reading about my pops!!


xoxo

-Shelb

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Very Own Eulogy and Obituary.

This may be a morbid one! I had to write my own eulogy and obituary for a class! Enjoy! Obituary: Shelby Robyn Collett, 23, of Calgary, Alberta passed away on November 12, 2015 after fighting a very long and hard battle. She was born on January 25, 1992 in Drumheller, Alberta, she was the only daughter of Ralph Collett and Yvonne Comstock. She graduated from Strathmore High School in 2010 and was in the middle of completing her teaching degree at Mount Royal University. Shelby is survived by her parents, her grandparents, George and Jewel Comstock, her sister Paige Severtson (Brad), her brother Casey Collett (Pam) and her nieces and nephews, Dayne, Kali, Carson, Grady and Lila. Along with numerous special aunts, uncles, cousins and friends.  A celebration of Shelby's life will be held in Hussar, Alberta on November 17, 2015 and Shelby made a request that bright colours are to be worn as well as that in lieu of flowers please make donations to a charity of your choice.

My Biggest Fears.

So, I was having a tough time coming up with ideas for my blog and my sister sent me a few ideas that I could use and one of them was phobias, so that made me think about everything and it made me realize that I have a few fears in my life that really really scare me. Also, I am gonna try and get pictures for this blog as well.... but it will freak me out so I hope you realize what I am going through lol.  I will start with the least and end with the biggest fear! Here we go! =) 3. Clowns. OMG. Please do not laugh because I am not kidding. I am petrified of clowns. I have no idea why but they scare the shit of out me. I have this fear that I am going to be locked in a carnival or something and the only things around are clowns. I remember one year we went to Screamfest and there was a clown walking around and I looked at it and thought to myself... he is gonna come up to me I know it. Well what do you know, as we are waiting in line he comes up behind me and whispers in my ear. To

My Top 5 Actresses!

So, I was thinking the other day about blog posts I could make, and I figured, why not give you my top 5 favourite movies, songs, actors and actresses! So, to start it off.... my top 5....Actresses~ 1. Scarlett Johanssen - I have always loved her, even when I saw her for the first time in Eight Legged Freaks, one of my favourite movies she has been in was Scoop, and of course Iron Man. I did like her in the Avengers, however I felt that she wasn't necessarily the best "Russian" they could have gotten. She did do well as Black Widow though. When her and Ryan Renoylds got married, I was so happy, they seemed like they perfect couple and I really liked them both as actors. She has such a classic look about her, it is wonderful. I feel like the thing with her, is you either LOVE her or you really HATE her! I think she is very unique and a wonderful person for young girls to look up to. 2. Amy Adams- How could you not love this red headed beauty! She is fabulous an