Skip to main content

My Very Own Eulogy and Obituary.


This may be a morbid one!

I had to write my own eulogy and obituary for a class! Enjoy!

Obituary:

Shelby Robyn Collett, 23, of Calgary, Alberta passed away on November 12, 2015 after fighting a very long and hard battle. She was born on January 25, 1992 in Drumheller, Alberta, she was the only daughter of Ralph Collett and Yvonne Comstock. She graduated from Strathmore High School in 2010 and was in the middle of completing her teaching degree at Mount Royal University. Shelby is survived by her parents, her grandparents, George and Jewel Comstock, her sister Paige Severtson (Brad), her brother Casey Collett (Pam) and her nieces and nephews, Dayne, Kali, Carson, Grady and Lila. Along with numerous special aunts, uncles, cousins and friends.  A celebration of Shelby's life will be held in Hussar, Alberta on November 17, 2015 and Shelby made a request that bright colours are to be worn as well as that in lieu of flowers please make donations to a charity of your choice.



Eulogy:

                Good afternoon everyone! My name is Alisha and I was Shelby's live in nurse. Over the course of our 5 months together we became extremely close and I was completely honoured when she asked me to write her eulogy. Although Shelby was taken from us much too soon by very tragic circumstances, she lived a life full of adventure and love. Shelby was born in Drumheller, Alberta to Ralph and Yvonne and the baby sister of Casey and Paige. During her younger years she was very rarely inside and spent most of her time playing in the snow, a love for winter that followed her all the way to her adult years. With her brother and sister being so much older than her, she had to find things that she could do by herself, building forts, riding her horse and playing with the dogs. As she got older, she continued to do all of these things as well as 4H Horse and Nifty Knots. This is where she discovered she wasn’t as crafty as she had anticipated, and mostly got frustrated with her projects, which is probably why this only lasted for one year. She played sports all through school including volleyball, basketball, badminton and track and field.  Shelby was never the best student and really only went to school for socializing, which is ironic because she was actually in school to become a teacher but we will get back to that later. Her high school days revolved around friends, sports, work and school. When she was in grade 12 she was lucky enough to visit Europe, not once but twice. She went on a Mediterranean cruise with a huge group of friends, this is actually where she realized she wasn’t a big traveller and couldn’t wait to go home……Only to leave a week later for Europe again. She has been to over 10 countries in Europe but I am sure if you had the chance to ask her where her favourite place was, she would say home. She was very much a homebody and as much as she had loved seeing the world from a different view she was also very much ready to come home the day she left.
                After Shelby graduated she decided to pursue hair school, which is where she realized she actually hated doing hair. She tried a lot of things that she hated, tomatoes, accounting, snowboarding and math, but eventually she found her groove, surprisingly enough in a salon atmosphere all along. Shelby absolutely loved working as a receptionist at The Fringe, she loved getting to know people, creating those relationships and making people happy. After going to school for a couple of years with no particular direction, Shelby finally decided to pursue a dream that she had, had since she was young. Finally just this past year, Shelby started her journey in Education at Mount Royal University.  All of her life, Shelby loved spending time and working with children, she had 2 nieces and 3 nephews that she adored and it only made sense for her to become a teacher. I mean other than her obvious dislike for school as a kid, when the roles were reversed, her favourite place was to be in the classroom.  She was so excited to finish her degree and teach in her own classroom.

                When Shelby wasn’t busy with work or school, she was always with her friends. She treasured each of them and loved them more than words could describe. She spent all of her free time with them and would do anything to be around them all. Especially in her last days, she wanted to be around the people she loved and although she was in pain I know that she is thankful that she got to say goodbye to each of them personally. Before she died, she asked me to write this eulogy for her, at first I was apprehensive and I had no idea where to start. I asked her to write down a few words that she would use to describe herself. She said, emotional, indecisive, bitchy, a procrastinator, sarcastic and possessive. Well, although I wouldn’t disagree with these things, and I don’t think her friends and family would either, I think that we look at them in a positive light where as she looked at them in a negative. She was emotional, but sensitive. She wore her heart on her sleeve and her emotions on her face, she was indecisive, but spontaneous.  She was bitchy, but honest. She was sarcastic, but clever. She was possessive, but loyal. None of these things were faults, like she had thought. They were just a few more reasons that everyone in her life loved her.  I had the opportunity to ask some of Shelby’s friends about her and the response that I got from them was overwhelming. The amount of people who loved Shelby is amazing and I am sure that if she were here to read the things that you all wrote about her, she would cry. She was a pretty emotional girl, so I think that, that is definitely a possibility.  Caring, honest, loving, kind, funny, beautiful, loyal, passionate and sassy were just some of the words that her friends used to describe her. It is funny that the words that she used to describe herself could be so much different than the words her friends chose. I just wish that she were here to hear all of the incredible things that you have all said about her, she was loved and adored by so many people in her life and she will be greatly missed, missed more than she could have ever imagined.




So, when my professor first gave us this assignment I thought he was crazy, I didn't want to write it and I didn't for a long time. One of the requirements was to write it in third person point of view and I also had to compare what I thought of myself vs. what my friends thought of me. So all of the words that I used in there that were  "negative" were the words I had to come up with in class and hand in. Then I had to ask my friends what they thought of me. The excercise turned into quite an eye opening expereince and I think that is exactly what my professor wanted. I had no idea what I was in for when I asked you all what you thought about me but I am so overwhelmed. I love you all and this project. It was really quite amazing in the end.


PS. I didn't really proof read any of it yet, so don't mind the grammar errors! lol

xoxo

-Shelb


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning 25 and the Changes that Came Along With It!

So, in January I turned 25 but with 25 came a lot of changes in my life and inside of myself. I decided that it was time to take a break from school after going for what feels like forever. I began to change my outlook on careers, relationships, kids, material things, everything honestly.  I began to realize that there are so many things in this world that don't have to be absolutes. A friend of mine asked me who I was 5 years ago and it got me thinking about how much I have changed and how much I have grown. "Who was I five years ago?" Well, there were 3 things that came to mind, these 3 things that I was so sure I wanted. 1. I wanted to get married. 2. I wanted to be a mom. 3. I wanted to be a teacher. Pretty common things, I think. Things I was sure I would never waiver on, so sure that I would tell anyone who asked me. This is what I want and this is what I intend on achieving. 5 years ago,  I was on my way, and I sit here today years later, having achieved no

Sorry, You Can Only Wear Crop Tops if You're a Size 2.

So, I spend lots of time reading other blogs of all sorts and I came across one blog that a 17 year old girl who was writing about having  a hard time in high school with everything, mean girls, boys, pressure from her family and from the media. Well, this particular post was about a couple of girls who called her a whale and told her that "you can only wear a crop top if you're a size 2 and you look like a size 14." Well this just really bothered me more than other blogs or posts I had read and maybe it is because I have become invested in this girls blog and I have gotten to know her through her posts and emails we have exchanged. I felt that I could completely relate to her, I remember having severe self image issues when  I was in high school. I remember back then I thought I was huge and now I see pictures of me then and I'm like AWE DAMN! Why don't  I look like that anymore. We never seem to be happy with what we have and always want more, I find. O