Skip to main content

A letter to my 17 year old self...

I was googling cool ideas for personal blog topics because I always seem to do best with personal topics and I couldn't really think of one to talk about and I came across a website with ideas. The first one was exactly this: "A Letter to my Teenage Self..." Now I know I am only 21 and my teenage years weren't all that long ago but honestly, I have changed so much since then I wish that I could go back and change a few simple things. So, here I go. I am going to write a letter to my "teenage self", I just randomly chose 17 but I am pretty much gonna cover 17 to 20 in here...

Dear Shelby,

Relax. Stop worrying about every little damn thing. Things are going to work out just fine. But while we are on the topic of worrying, you should probably worry a little more about your homework because trust ME. People are probably telling you now, you know you are gonna wish you tried harder in high school. Well, by golly they were right. TRY HARDER. You're smart, that much I know but you are so lazy and such a procrastinator. It should probably be your middle name. It is becoming ridiculous.

It isn't lame that you don't drink and love hanging out with your mom. Most of your friends understand that and they love you for it but I know there are some that make fun of you about it. Honestly, don't stress about it. Those few "friends" don't matter later in life and there is no use making yourself feeling crappy just because you don't like to go out and get wasted every weekend. Now you know how I said most of your friends understand? Those are the keepers girl... They are the truest friends you will ever have and DON'T ever give them up. You don't have to choose between people, ever. You can do both, you just have to have the courage to do it. When you're in the wrong, apologise. It doesn't matter who apologises first as long as at the end of the day everything is okay. Don't you dare settle,  you know what you want and what you want for yourself. Do it. You know you can do it, so many people around you believe in you and you know exactly who those people are.

Also! Take a year off after high school, you have no idea what you want to do with your life. I know you feel pressure to pick a career and decide what you want to do with the rest of your life but honestly... That is crap. And the people who continue to tell you that's the way it is supposed to be? Well that is crap advice. You aren't supposed to know what you want when you are 17 so don't you even worry about it. Take some time... volunteer or something. Work some crappy jobs and eventually you will figure out just what you want to do and so what if it takes a couple years?!? That is fine!

I know that there are some people that you wish you hadn't lost touch with and you miss them all. Call them, text them, it's not as bad as you think. The pain you go through everyday missing them can be so easily fixed with just a conversation... a call. Any form of trying. Just try? K Shelb? You really don't know just how important these people are to you and just how much you need them in your life.

I know you think you know exactly how your life is going to turn out... You have it all planned out right? You're going to get married to your boyfriend and have kids and live happily ever after. Sometimes plans change love, and it's okay. It's gonna suck and it's going to be harder than you can imagine. You are so lucky to have such a great first relationship, and you know what, he loves you, he really does. So relax. Stop over thinking everything and just breathe. Go with the flow. I know you love him so much sometimes it is hard to breathe but that is the way it should be, you are young and in love. A good love. But when that love doesn't go in the direction that you had originally planned and your heart makes a quick and drastic detour. It's okay. You're allowed to change your mind and it's not your fault. Plans don't always work out the way we had intended but it doesn't mean you're a bad person. There is no doubt that everyone knows you both love each other but it's okay if you aren't the best match for each other. Sometimes there is good in goodbye. Just remember... It's OKAY.

Last but not least... Please stop worrying about everything. You're going to change and grow up a lot in a matter of months and even then sometimes you won't feel like you're worth it or good enough but you are. Don't ever forget that and if you ever forget look beside you because you have the best of friends girl. You have no idea how lucky you are.

I love you for your silly, procrastinating, worrying, clumsy and loving self.

Love,
You.

P.S- The clumsiness never goes away so just learn to deal with it... and get good winter boots.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Very Own Eulogy and Obituary.

This may be a morbid one! I had to write my own eulogy and obituary for a class! Enjoy! Obituary: Shelby Robyn Collett, 23, of Calgary, Alberta passed away on November 12, 2015 after fighting a very long and hard battle. She was born on January 25, 1992 in Drumheller, Alberta, she was the only daughter of Ralph Collett and Yvonne Comstock. She graduated from Strathmore High School in 2010 and was in the middle of completing her teaching degree at Mount Royal University. Shelby is survived by her parents, her grandparents, George and Jewel Comstock, her sister Paige Severtson (Brad), her brother Casey Collett (Pam) and her nieces and nephews, Dayne, Kali, Carson, Grady and Lila. Along with numerous special aunts, uncles, cousins and friends.  A celebration of Shelby's life will be held in Hussar, Alberta on November 17, 2015 and Shelby made a request that bright colours are to be worn as well as that in lieu of flowers please make donations to a charity of your choice.

My Biggest Fears.

So, I was having a tough time coming up with ideas for my blog and my sister sent me a few ideas that I could use and one of them was phobias, so that made me think about everything and it made me realize that I have a few fears in my life that really really scare me. Also, I am gonna try and get pictures for this blog as well.... but it will freak me out so I hope you realize what I am going through lol.  I will start with the least and end with the biggest fear! Here we go! =) 3. Clowns. OMG. Please do not laugh because I am not kidding. I am petrified of clowns. I have no idea why but they scare the shit of out me. I have this fear that I am going to be locked in a carnival or something and the only things around are clowns. I remember one year we went to Screamfest and there was a clown walking around and I looked at it and thought to myself... he is gonna come up to me I know it. Well what do you know, as we are waiting in line he comes up behind me and whispers in my ear. To

My Top 5 Actresses!

So, I was thinking the other day about blog posts I could make, and I figured, why not give you my top 5 favourite movies, songs, actors and actresses! So, to start it off.... my top 5....Actresses~ 1. Scarlett Johanssen - I have always loved her, even when I saw her for the first time in Eight Legged Freaks, one of my favourite movies she has been in was Scoop, and of course Iron Man. I did like her in the Avengers, however I felt that she wasn't necessarily the best "Russian" they could have gotten. She did do well as Black Widow though. When her and Ryan Renoylds got married, I was so happy, they seemed like they perfect couple and I really liked them both as actors. She has such a classic look about her, it is wonderful. I feel like the thing with her, is you either LOVE her or you really HATE her! I think she is very unique and a wonderful person for young girls to look up to. 2. Amy Adams- How could you not love this red headed beauty! She is fabulous an