Skip to main content

My First Day of Grade 1.... Again.

So sorry I haven't written in so long.... I have been so busy!! But hopefully getting back into routine will help with things!

So this past Tuesday, the 23rd I began my practicum with a grade 1 class. I figured I would enjoy the older kids so when my practicum got switched from grade 6 to grade 1, I was a little disappointed, I'm not going to lie. But I told myself that it would be fine and it would be lots of fun to teach these little guys.

Little did I know, I would be more than right!! I was so nervous that these little 6 year olds wouldn't like me. Jeez, they had caused me so much worry and stress for being so little and cute! I started the day with the principal because the regular teacher was away. She introduced me to the kids as Miss Collett, which is still really weird for me to hear. I have never been called that in an actual serious matter. The first kid to pipe up was a teeny tiny little boy with the biggest brown eyes I think I have ever seen. He walked up to me, grabbed my hand and said "c'mon teacher, you can sit by me..." My heart literally turned to mush. It hit me that this was my future, that I was finally heading in a direction that was right. We practiced letters and counting to 10 and all the kids gloated abut how they could count to "pretty much a bazillion"...  One girl came up to me and asked, "Are you a Mom?" I told her, no. She then says, "Oh funny... I thought Moms had orange hair!" .... hahah. Now you could be thinking, wow Shelby's first day went pretty perfect... Those little guys sound like angels.

WRONG.

They are all cute as heck, but I tell you now... They are far from angels. The principal left the room and I am pretty sure it was like the stampede in Jumanji... Every one literally  went crazy. It took me about 5-10 minutes to actually get these little monkeys attention and when I did, I felt like I was thoroughly exhausted. I thought... "how on earth am I supposed to do this everyday. I am going to die from exhaustion." Honestly, I didn't know how I was going to make this my career if I couldn't even handle one day. Well, after all the kids were settled back into their desks. By my loud clapping, I seemed to have caught their attention and they enjoyed mimicking my claps. They all took out their printing books and began working on the letter G/g. One little girl was having real difficulty and asked for my help. I told her that the "g" was a fishing letter and that the dots on the page were little fish and we had to make sure that the hook went all the way passed the fish so we could catch them. She smiled so wide and had a complete look of joy on her face, she wrote down her "g" and exclaimed loudly "I did it!! I did it Miss! It's fishing!!!!"

Right there and then... The crazy stampede of kids, the uncertainty of what to do next, the fear of being completely exhausted for the rest of my life, that look on her face made it all worth it. The light went off in her head and I knew that it didn't matter how exhausted I was, that look would be just as satisfying 20 years from now.

That was the best feeling in the world.



xo
-Shelb

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Very Own Eulogy and Obituary.

This may be a morbid one! I had to write my own eulogy and obituary for a class! Enjoy! Obituary: Shelby Robyn Collett, 23, of Calgary, Alberta passed away on November 12, 2015 after fighting a very long and hard battle. She was born on January 25, 1992 in Drumheller, Alberta, she was the only daughter of Ralph Collett and Yvonne Comstock. She graduated from Strathmore High School in 2010 and was in the middle of completing her teaching degree at Mount Royal University. Shelby is survived by her parents, her grandparents, George and Jewel Comstock, her sister Paige Severtson (Brad), her brother Casey Collett (Pam) and her nieces and nephews, Dayne, Kali, Carson, Grady and Lila. Along with numerous special aunts, uncles, cousins and friends.  A celebration of Shelby's life will be held in Hussar, Alberta on November 17, 2015 and Shelby made a request that bright colours are to be worn as well as that in lieu of flowers please make donations to a charity of your choice.

My Biggest Fears.

So, I was having a tough time coming up with ideas for my blog and my sister sent me a few ideas that I could use and one of them was phobias, so that made me think about everything and it made me realize that I have a few fears in my life that really really scare me. Also, I am gonna try and get pictures for this blog as well.... but it will freak me out so I hope you realize what I am going through lol.  I will start with the least and end with the biggest fear! Here we go! =) 3. Clowns. OMG. Please do not laugh because I am not kidding. I am petrified of clowns. I have no idea why but they scare the shit of out me. I have this fear that I am going to be locked in a carnival or something and the only things around are clowns. I remember one year we went to Screamfest and there was a clown walking around and I looked at it and thought to myself... he is gonna come up to me I know it. Well what do you know, as we are waiting in line he comes up behind me and whispers in my ear. To

My Top 5 Actresses!

So, I was thinking the other day about blog posts I could make, and I figured, why not give you my top 5 favourite movies, songs, actors and actresses! So, to start it off.... my top 5....Actresses~ 1. Scarlett Johanssen - I have always loved her, even when I saw her for the first time in Eight Legged Freaks, one of my favourite movies she has been in was Scoop, and of course Iron Man. I did like her in the Avengers, however I felt that she wasn't necessarily the best "Russian" they could have gotten. She did do well as Black Widow though. When her and Ryan Renoylds got married, I was so happy, they seemed like they perfect couple and I really liked them both as actors. She has such a classic look about her, it is wonderful. I feel like the thing with her, is you either LOVE her or you really HATE her! I think she is very unique and a wonderful person for young girls to look up to. 2. Amy Adams- How could you not love this red headed beauty! She is fabulous an